Skip To ContentAbout the CityCity ServicesCity GovernmentVisit PasoBusiness DevelopmentVolunteer
City of Paso Robles
DepartmentsCity CouncilAdvisory BodiesPlanning Commission
Engineering Division
1000 Spring Street
Paso Robles, CA 93446
(805) 237-3860
(805) 237-3904 FAX
Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm
Engineering Division


Encroachment Permits

Download Encroachment Permit Application

The City of Paso Robles requires contractors to obtain Encroachment Permits for all work performed within the public right-of-way. The Public Right-of-Way is defined as the portion of a street, alley or sidewalk owned by the City, i.e., NOT on private property. The City Engineering Division can verify right-of-way using maps on file at City Hall. Encroachment Permit Applications can be downloaded and filled out on the computer then printed, or are available hard copy at 1000 Spring Street, 2nd Floor, Paso Robles, and are issued only to state-licensed contractors possessing a City Business License. The contractor performing the work is required to complete the permit application by supplying contractor information, job location information, estimated start and completion dates, and a detailed description of the work to be performed. Supplemental plans or drawings, if available, should be attached to the permit application for review by the City Engineer.

Encroachment Permit Applications must be submitted to the City Engineer within the Community Development Department at least 48 hours prior to commencement of work. Once the permit application is approved, the contractor will be required to submit a $180 Permit Fee plus an additional cash deposit. This deposit, ranging from $500 to $2,500, is determined by the City Engineer based on the project scope, and the related inspections and administrative work will be charged against this deposit. Upon project completion, the contractor is required to contact the City’s Inspection Line at (805) 227-7223 to schedule a final inspection. Once the project is approved by the City’s Engineering Inspector, the balances of the deposit will be refunded to the party who supplied the deposit.

Note:  If the work performed under the Encroachment Permit requires the closure or partial closure of an alley or street, a separate Street Closure Permit is required.  There is no additional fees for this permit, however, it must be approved by the City Engineer.  For information and to download a permit to fill out, see below.

Utility Trench Repair: Some Encroachment Permits require trench repair. Please read this information regarding City Standard Details and Specifications for Utility Trench Repair, and sign the included Acknowledgement of Receipt if applicable.

City Standards and Specifications are available online for reference and download as well.

Construction Related Street Closure/Traffic Impact Permit

Any time construction or related work impacts traffic or results in the closure (or partial closure) of an alley or public roadway, a Street Closure Permit is required.  There are no additional fees associated with this permit, however, it must be approved by the City Engineer.

You can obtain a Construction Street Closure Request here or from the Engineering Division at City Hall. Please fill it out and bring it in, or you can mail it to:

Community Development ~ Engineering
1000 Spring Street Paso Robles, CA 93446

An original signature must be on the form and once approved by the City, the permit (original or copy) must be kept on site during construction.


Truck Routes (Map)

Post-Construction Storm Water Management Requirements

Traffic Calming Program

Adopted General Plan

Local Hazard Mitigation Plan

User Fee Schedules

Inspection Requests

You are here:   Home  »  Government  »   Departments  »  Community Development  »  Engineering   »  Encroachment/Street Closure