Click here to login to your Blackgold Account
Getting a Library Card
To get a Library card you must have a government-issued ID with your name and current mailing address. In most cases, this would be your driver's license. If your ID does not have your current mailing address, a second piece of identification with current address, such as a bill or bank statement, will be needed. A parent or legal guardian must accompany children under 18 years of age wishing to get a card. Library card privileges, including confidentiality protection, are the same for children and adults. Your first library card is free! Should you lose or damage it, a $1.00 fee will be charged for each replacement.
Using Your Library Card
- Library cards are good at all Black Gold library branches.
- Up to 20 items may be checked out on a library card.
- Cardholders are responsible for all materials checked out on their or their child’s cards.
- Lost or stolen cards should be reported immediately.
- A library card or valid government-issued photo ID is required to access library accounts. (For users under 18, this can be school issued ID.)
- Parents/guardians may only access their child’s account information when the child is present or his or her card/card number is presented.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Internet computer stations
- Wireless printing capability
- Portable, personal hotspots available for checkout
Digital and Audio-Visual Materials
- Books, audiobooks, and music are available online for checkout and streaming.
- DVDs, audiobooks, and music CDs are available for checkout. Please notify us if a DVD or disc is in need of repair.
- The library assumes no responsibility for damage caused to a borrower’s audio-visual equipment by library materials.
Visit us online to:
- Check due dates and renew items
- Pay fines
- Update your contact information
- Search the catalog
- Place requests on items to be delivered to your branch of choice
- Access our digital collections
- Access the online calendar for upcoming program and event information
Most library materials: 21 days
Express books: 7 days
Internet Hotspots: 7 days
Interlibrary Loan Items: 21 days
Most items are eligible for automatic renewal 2 days before the due date if no holds have been placed on them by other library customers. Maximum of 3 renewals.
- Materials may be returned in the library or through our 24-hour exterior book drops:
- Drive-through - books and periodicals only
- 11th Street building exterior - all materials
- Materials may be returned to any Black Gold library branch.
Fines (per day)
All items: $0.25 per day
$8 max per item (per calendar day overdue).
- Charges will be assessed for lost and damaged items. Replacement fee schedule below.
- Borrowing privileges are suspended for accounts owing more than $10 in fines/fees.
Interlibrary loan items: $2.00
Library card replacement: $1.00
Photocopies/computer printouts: $0.20 (per page)
Faxes: $2.00 (per page)
Replacement Fee Schedule
The fee schedule for lost or damaged items is adopted by the City Council and updated annually. Current fees are:
|Replacement Material:||Fee per item:|
|Adult Non-Fiction Books:||$42|
|Adult Fiction Books||$36|
|Juvenile Non-Fiction Books:||$26|
|Juvenile Fiction Books:||$26|
|Books on CD Sets:||$10 per disc|
|Repair Material:||Fee per item:|
Library items will be automatically renewed 2 days before the due date as long as no holds have been placed on them by other library customers. Items may be renewed a maximum of 3 times.
To renew by phone: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, use the Library’s automated renewal system. You will need to have the complete barcode number from your Library card and the items to be renewed. Dial the toll-free number 800-354-9660 from anywhere in the 805 area code and follow the instructions.
To renew via the Internet:
Again, you must have the complete barcode number from your Library card and your PIN. Click on "View Your Record" to access your record and learn which items you have checked out, when they’re due back, request renewals, see whether you have any fines to pay, check on any titles you may have on hold, and more.
Of course, you may always come into the Library to renew your items; please bring your Library card with you.
You may search for and place a hold on materials by using the online library catalog. Each library card is limited to 10 holds. Charges may apply if the item reserved comes from outside the Black Gold Cooperative Library System. You will be notified by email, telephone, text message, or printed notice when the item you ordered is in. Items on hold are held for 7 business days.
For that hard-to-find item not owned by the Black Gold Library System, visit the Reference Desk and we will search a national database for your item (average cost is $2.00 per item). Inter-library loan items check out for 3 weeks but cannot be renewed online or over the telephone. They must be brought in at the end of their check out period.
Although the Library buys copies of bestsellers for the regular collection, sometimes the waiting list can be long. The Express program provides an alternative to reserving a popular title, making a variety of Bestsellers available on a first-come, first-served basis for a 7 day check-out. Express books cannot be held or renewed online or over the telephone. They must be brought in at the end of their check out period.
New Media Formats