CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS IN PROGRESS
Click on the links below to see pictures of each project
West Side Slurry Seal Project (DPW 17-17)
May 10, 2018
Digout repairs for the West Side Slurry Seal Project finished up this week. A final Type II slurry seal surface will finish out the project this summer. This project will maintain thirty three (33) street segments on the west side of Paso Robles.
24th Street Bridge Over the Railroad Tracks (DPW 16-01)
The existing bridge over the UPPR tracks was constructed in 1959. The bridge was constructed with 2 lanes of traffic, and a narrow sidewalk on the south side with no bike lanes. It has been a long-time priority by the City Council to improve this bridge.
The City has a Highway Bridge Program (HBP) Grant, in the amount of $723,714, for final design. In September 2016, the City engaged the services of AECOM to perform the work (after a thorough Federal-Aid procurement process). A Notice to Proceed was issued in October 2016.
May 19, 2017 (images)
Current work is to gather field data to begin the design work. We need to do some borings in the UPRR right-of-way, to get soils data and perform construction surveying. We are in the process of procuring an encroachment permit from UPRR, which is a 6-8 month process.
Final design is anticipated to be completed within 18-24 months. The City will then apply to Caltrans for a Grant to construct the project.
Sherwood Sewer Replacement (DPW 16-21)
April 10, 2018 Update
The contractor at the Sherwood Acres Sewer Upgrade Project has started work. They are beginning with portions of the sewer mains located in the street (Santa Ynez).There are 3 locations where the sewer mains will be in the street right-of-way (Santa Ysabel and San Augustin are the other two). The remaining pipelines to be upgraded are located within backyard easements.
Due to aging infrastructure and increase frequency of high maintenance activity to keep the sewer system of Tract 67 (circa 1952), and Tract 172 (circa 1959) clear and functional, the City has decided to proceed with a sewer replacement project to restore integrity to the system and to significantly reduce the potential for sewer system overflows (SSOs), public health concerns and costly fines. The scope of the project generally consists of:
- Replacement of approximately 5,000 linear feet of 6 inch diameter vitrified clay (VCP) gravity sewer pipe using trenchless construction methods, within the backyard easements and alleyways of the 124 lots fronting the following streets: Santa Fe Ave., Santa Cruz Ave., Santa Ysabel Ave., Santa Ynez Ave., San Carlos Dr., San Augustine Dr., San Fernando Dr., Via Ramona Dr., and San Rafael Dr.
- Restoration of approximately 124 lateral connections to the new sewer lines.
- Repair/replacement of approximately 20 sewer manholes and cleanouts.
- City Council awarded the construction contract in November 2017. Work should begin in early 2018.
13th Street Pedestrian Improvements from Park to Pine Street (DPW 16-23)
The City Council authorized the design work to begin, and is scheduled to advertise for bids in Spring 2018.
Spring Street - 24th to 36th (DPW 12-12F-4)
The project is in the design stage, and will feature the following items:
- Upgrade old and undersized water mains to meet fire flow demand.
- Upgrade old sewer mains and replace old manhole covers.
- Install conduit for future fiber optics line.
- Repair damaged curbs, gutters, and sidewalks.
- Address drainage deficiencies.
- Remove and replace deteriorated asphalt (full width) from 24th to 36th
Construction schedule: Summer 2019
Creston Road Planning Grant (DPW 12-12H-1)
Please visit www.prcity.com/CrestonRoad for more information.
Sherwood Repairs - Creston to Linne (DPW 12-12I)
May 1, 2017
Final design for the repair of Sherwood - Creston to Linne has began so that it can be in construction by 2018 per the adopted list of streets schedule using Supplemental Sales Tax. Last week, soils engineers were on-site to perform drilling of the existing roadway (see attached photos). The data from the borings will be used to establish the final street structure that will be needed for the road repairs. A few weeks ago, construction surveyors were also on-site to gather field data survey to be used for the final design as well.
Project will feature the following items:
- Install a new traffic signal at Commerce.
- Complete the missing curb, gutter, and sidewalk at the corner across from Food-4-Less.
- Upgrade the old sewer pipes between Commerce and Linne.
- Improve and resurface deteriorated asphalt.
- Install additional street trees along the south side.
- Install a landscaped raised median.
- Install decorative streetlights.
- Stripe and paint the bike lanes.
Construction schedule: Summer 2018
Vine Street - 32nd to Caballo (DPW 12-12J-1)
This is the dirt area behind the Georgia Brown School. The project is in the design stage, and has the following features:
- Lowering of a shallow existing water main.
- Grade and pave the dirt area with new asphalt.
- Upgrade the curb ramps at 32nd and at Arlene.
Construction schedule: Summer 2018
May 5, 2017
The design work has begun with the field work to drill for soils data and perform infiltration test.