Public Transportation

San Luis Obispo Regional Transit Authority (SLORTA)

SLORTA provides several forms of intercommunity public transportation. For more information on SLORTA, call 805-239-TRIP (8747).

Fixed Route Local Transit Service

The local bus service, Paso Express Routes A and B, is a fixed-route transit service operating along designated routes within the city. Paso Express is open to the general public, and provides a low-cost transportation alternative. You can board the Paso Express at any designated bus stop in the city.

Service is also available to Templeton, Atascadero and San Luis Obispo (SLO) by connecting to Regional Transit Authority (RTA) Route 9. Buses are lift-equipped to serve the mobility impaired and feature bicycle racks.

Find more information about schedules and fares or call 805-239-TRIP (8747).


Dial-A-Ride (DAR) is a demand-response public transit service providing curb-to-curb service anywhere within city limits. All low-floor and ramp-equipped to serve the mobility impaired. 

Service is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Contact SLORTA at 805-239-TRIP (8747) for information. 


An Amtrak depot is also located at the North County Transit Center (NCTC) at 800 Pine Street. The Coast Starlight makes two stops daily, southbound and northbound. Amtrak buses also pick up at the NCTC. 

There are no ticket sales on site; however, tickets may be purchased on the train, at the San Luis Obispo Amtrak Station, over the phone at 800-USA-RAIL (800-872-7245) or through Amtrak online.

Taxi Cab Services

Taxi cab services fall under Chapter 5.40 of the Code of Ordinances. Local services include:

Rental Cars

Enterprise Rent-a-Car will deliver a rental car to the airport.

Other Options

  • SLO Rideshare, your “one-stop-shop” for transportation information, 511 travel information, road conditions, and other commute resources
    Phone: 805-541-2277 (toll-free)
    Alternate phone: 511
  • Ride-On, providing door-to-door shuttle services for seniors, veterans, people with disabilities and social service agencies, as well as the general public
    Phone: 805-541-TRIP (8747)
  • Runabout Paratransit Services, which provides service for Americans with Disabilities Act certified passengers only (application required)
    Phone: 805-541-2544