Conditional Use Permit

Because certain land uses (see Zoning Matrix (PDF)) may not be complementary to adjacent properties, a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) may be required for a new business, development, or other land use modification.

For example, some commercial uses established next to existing residential development may have conditions limiting hours of operation or specific noise control measures such as closed windows and doors.

Determining Land Use

In order to find out whether a land use requires a CUP, look up the zoning district.

Then look up the desired land use (i.e. R1, C1, etc.) in the Zoning Matrix (PDF) and see whether the land use is permitted (P), not permitted (N) or conditionally permitted (C). Any conditionally permitted land uses require a CUP.

Application & Review Process

For new construction, a Planned Development Application is often required in conjunction with the CUP.

During the CUP review process, considerations are given to the zoning, type of business, and potential impacts to surrounding existing development.

Duration of a CUP

Generally, a CUP is permanently tied to the property unless the Planning Commission puts time limits on the CUP, as long as the conditions of approval are upheld and the use or activity does not become a nuisance to the city.