The Paso Robles Fire and Emergency Services has established guidelines for weed abatement to assist property owners in complying with the City’s weed abatement ordinance. Failure to meet abatement specifications shall constitute non-compliance.
General Requirements: Vegetation
Clearance Requirements of Vegetative Growth
- Grass and other vegetation shall be mowed or disc’d to a maximum height of 4 inches.
- Clearance shall be a minimum of 50 feet in width at the perimeter of a parcel and from any roadway.
- Clearance shall be a minimum of 100 feet around all structures.
- Clearance shall be a minimum of 10 feet on each side of driveways.
- Clearance shall be a minimum of 50 feet around oak trees.
- Grass and other vegetation located more than 50 feet from any structure and less than 18 inches in height may be maintained where necessary to stabilize the soil and prevent erosion.
- Fenced pastures are exempt where existing livestock will significantly reduce weeds and grasses.
- Orchards/vineyards will be mowed or diced to a distance of 50 feet on both sides of any roadway. The remaining parcel may be mowed or diced one way.
- Growing hay and grains needs to be cut at harvest time; any hay or grain uncut will be subject to abatement.
Equipment Used for Weed Abatement
All equipment used for weed abatement work shall be equipped with proper spark arresters, mufflers, etc. To prune branches on standing oak trees, please call the Parks Maintenance Division in the Community Services Department at 805-237-3873 for requirements.