Paso Robles Community COVID-19 Coalition
The COVID-19 crisis has affected the lives of every Paso Robles resident. Our Zip Code accounts for many more recorded infections than any other in San Luis Obispo County. The reasons for this are unclear, but the consequences are obvious: until an effective counter-measure is developed, the virus likely will continue to spread through the Paso Robles population at a rate greater than other areas in our county.
Efforts to keep the local economy afloat have resulted in a business community committed, for the most part, to adherence to infection control measures: hand-washing, mask-wearing, social distancing. There is a system in place to address non-compliance. These efforts have kept some businesses open and some people employed.
Efforts to address concerns by the general public have been less consistent and effective. There is still uncertainty about the transmission of the disease and how the community can work together to reduce that transmission.
It is therefore proposed that a Community COVID-19 Coalition be formed to engage local residents in efforts to assess and satisfy community needs for information, direction and assistance as they pertain to the coronavirus crisis. This Coalition will consist of citizen volunteers with liaisons from media, public health, safety and government sectors.
VISION: The City of Paso Robles will be recognized as a model of citizen engagement in the fight against COVID-19.
MISSION: The Coalition will create a community-driven effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the City of Paso Robles.
Coalition efforts will include, but not be restricted to:
- Create a multi-media campaign to inform the community about infection control. This campaign would include, but not be restricted to:
- Bi-lingual radio/television/ print advertising
- Bi-lingual mailers/information sheets
- Bi-lingual Internet/social media campaigns
- Information booths at local farmers markets, library parking lot, etc.
- Businesses and individuals who are committed to being part of the coalition and its efforts would be recognized through signage, pins, etc.
- Coalition members and/or volunteers would visit businesses that do not demonstrate compliance to request their participation
- Recruit and train volunteers to process citizen inquiries, staff information booths, update Internet/social media, distribute hand sanitizer, masks, etc.
- Recruit the assistance of local service organizations to raise funds and assist with Coalition activities.
Will you help? If so, please fill out the contact form here and we will all stay informed, stay involved and stay strong Paso!